Commissionerate of Revenue Administration and Disaster Management - Government of Tamil Nadu
Pension for Freedom Fighters and Ex-INA Personnel
The Government of Tamil Nadu have been earnestly implementing the Welfare Schemes to the Freedom Fighters who participated and suffered untold miseries in the Freedom Movement for our country.
In order to honor the persons who have served the Nation by participating in the Freedom Movement have always been of primary importance, hence, the Government have extended various facilities to the Freedom Fighters such as Freedom Fighters Pension, Family Pension, medical facilities, free transport facilities, priority in Government employment, and allotment of houses etc.,
In recognition of the patriotic spirit of the Freedom Fighters, the Government of Tamil Nadu have decided to honor them by implementing the State Freedom Fighters Pension Scheme with effect from 01.10.1966.
In this scheme, the Freedom Fighters who were sentenced to imprisonment or held under detention for not less than three months or killed in action or who became permanently incapacitated due to firing or lathi charge during their participation in the National Freedom Movement are eligible to get Freedom Fighters Pension / Family Pension. Later, the Ex-INA personnel and persons who participated in Naval Mutiny, 1946 and those who suffered imprisonment in Madurai Conspiracy Case were also made eligible for the Pension.
In addition to these, Freedom Fighters who went underground to avoid arrest or whose property was confiscated / attached or who were removed / dismissed from service on account of their participation in the freedom movement were also made eligible for Freedom Fighter Pension, provided that such claims are supported by documentary evidence through Court records or other official records.
The period of imprisonment as the eligibility criteria for getting pension was reduced to three weeks with effect from 01.04.1980. The income ceiling was also removed with effect from 11.03.1983.
The Government have considered sympathetically the pecuniary circumstances of the Freedom Fighters and hence, the quantum of the freedom fighters pension has been enhanced reasonably from time to time.
As per the announcement made by the Hon'ble Chief Minister, the pension amount has been enhanced from 15,000/- to 16,000/- per month with effect from 15.08.2019.
In the event of death of any State Freedom Fighter Pensioner, the pension is paid continuously to the wife / husband / minor children of the Freedom Fighter as Family Pension.
The Government also sanctions the continuance of pension to the son / daughter of the freedom fighters who are differently abled, both physically and mentally, since he/she is unable to earn a living even after attaining the age of 18 years in case of son and 21 years, in case of daughter till their life time.
In order to give relief to the family of the deceased Freedom Fighters, the Government have enhanced the family pension from time to time.
As per the announcement made by the Hon'ble Chief Minister, the Family Pension amount has been enhanced from Rs.7,500/- to Rs.8,000/- per month with effect from 15.08.2019.
The Government has been sanctioning special pension to the descendants of eminent persons in recognition of the significant role played by them in the freedom movement.
Under this scheme, descendants of Ma-Mannar Marudhu Pandiar Brothers, direct and senior descendants of Ma-Mannar Veerapandia Kattabomman, eligible descendants of Ma-Mannar Muthuramalinga Vijaya Raghunatha Sethupathy of Ramanathapuram and one descendant of Freedom Fighter Sekkizhutha Chemmal V.O.Chidambaranar are receiving pension which has been enhanced from Rs.7,500/- to Rs. 8,000/- per month with effect from 15.08.2019.
At present 86 descendants of Ma-Mannar Marudhu Pandiar Brothers, 4 direct and senior descendants of Ma-Mannar Veerapandia Kattabomman, 56 eligible descendants of Ma-Mannar Muthuramalinga Vijaya Raghunatha Sethupathy of Ramanathapuram and one descendant of Freedom Fighter Sekkizhutha Chemmal V.O.Chidambaranar are receiving this pension. They will continue to receive the above pension till their life time.
The other concessions granted to the Freedom Fighters and their dependants are given below: -
a) Medical Facilities:
- Medical Allowance is paid to all pensioners who are receiving Central Pension or State Pension or both and to their widows and minor children.
- This amount was enhanced from Rs.100/- to Rs.500/- per month with effect from 15.08.2012. The above pensioners or their dependants are permitted to avail 'A' class facility in old Hospitals and 'pay ward' facility without payment of any charges in new Hospitals.
b) Transport and Housing Facilities:
- The Freedom Fighters, drawing Central or State Pension, their widows and legal heirs are given free bus passes to travel in the buses of State Transport Corporation and also given priority in allotment of houses / plots / flats by the Tamil Nadu Housing Board on priorities basis.
c) Employment Assistance:
- Priority is given for the legal heirs of Freedom fighters when their names are sponsored by Employment Exchanges to Government Departments and Undertakings for filling up of vacancies.
d) Funeral Expenses:
- A sum of Rs.5,000/- is being sanctioned immediately to the wife or the immediate legal heirs of the Freedom Fighters towards funeral expenses in the event of death of the Freedom Fighter.
- As a mark of tribute to the deceased Freedom Fighter, an officer not below the rank of Tahsildar from the Revenue Department on behalf of the Government will place a wreath on the body of the deceased Freedom Fighter.
- It will be applicable to those who are receiving State / Central Freedom Fighters Pension or receiving both the pensions.
- The number of Freedom Fighters in Tamil Nadu, who are now, drawing State Pension under various schemes is as follows:-
Type of Pension
Freedom Fighters receiving State Freedom Fighter’s Pension (Rs.16,000 + Rs.500/- Medical Allowance per month).
Dependants receiving Family Pension (Rs.8,000 + Rs.500/- Medical Allowance per month).
Descendants of Ma-mannar Sivagangai Marudhu Pandiar Brothers (Rs.8,000/- per month).
Descendants of Ma-mannar Veerapandia Kattabomman (Rs.8,000/- per month).
Descendants of Ma-mannar Muthuramalinga Vijaya Raghunatha Sethupathy (Rs.8,000/- per month).
Descendant of Freedom Fighter Sekkizhutha Chemmal V.O.Chidambaranar (Rs.8,000/- per month).
Central Pension Scheme for Freedom Fighters:
- The Central Government has been implementing the Scheme of Freedom Fighters Pension (Swatantrata Sainik Samman Pension) with effect from 15.08.1972. According to this Scheme, the following concessions are granted:
i) Each recipient of Swatantrata Sainik Samman Yojana is getting Rs.26,000/- per month as pension along with Dearness Allowance with effect from 01.01.2017.
Total number of persons who are receiving Central Freedom Fighters Pension / Family Pension is 876.
ii) State Pension of Rs.500/- per month from the State Funds is paid to those who receive Central Freedom Fighters Pension / Central Family Pension.
Rate of monthly pension paid by the State Government to freedom fighters and their dependents